8.21.2016

Goodbye

The day is finally here. At 6pm on Saturday, August 20th I will be leaving for Germany to get settled and start building what will be my life for the next four months. This past few days have definitely been busy. Getting ready to spend an entire year abroad is no easy task. Thankfully, this is something I have been planning for months now so even if one small detail was forgotten it is not something that doesn't have a solution. Another important (and incredibly hard) part of the process has been saying goodbye. This is never easy. I have to say goodbye to my loved ones, my friends and goodbye to the island where I was raised. The island I won't come back to for an entire year. I have to say goodbye to the subtle yet endearing “coquí, coquí sound produced by the small frog native to Puerto Rico. I am definitely going to miss it. I mean who wouldn’t?

Playa Caracas, Vieques, Puerto Rico (Original)

However, in the midst of this process a question people always asked me was, “Why are you doing this? Why did you decide to spend an entire year abroad?” To be honest, it is a tough question to answer. I have always had a passion for traveling and for getting to know other cultures. My father and grandmother have always talked about their year abroad when they were young and I always looked at them with my eyes glowing wondering when I would ever have the chance to do the same. Northeastern has been recognized for the support they give their students when these opportunities arise and I have certainly had the chance to make the most out of these experiences thanks to that support and intend to continue to do so. 

I remember when I got the e-mail for the co-op offer in Germany. It was something I really had not considered. My plan was to stay in Boston and do a domestic co-op first. However, when the opportunity presented itself I couldn’t say no. I just thought of how amazing it would be to work in another country and see up-close how the dynamic is there. Especially that of a country with another language and that I had never been to. So I took it. I didn’t think twice about it and bought my airplane ticket. One way to Hanover, Germany. Today I go back to that moment and think, “Why did I do it?” And I guess I don’t really have an answer. I just did. I felt some sort of gravity pulling me towards making this decision and it felt right to do so at this time in my life. It still does. It has inspired me to continue planning and dreaming of more and more. I can only feel grateful to have this opportunity and be able to share with you everything about it.

My co-op does not officially start until September 1st. I will be working at Leibniz Universität Hannover as a research assistant in a lab on campus. More to come as to why I chose to do this co-op.

 Leibniz Universität Hannover, Hanover Germany
From https://upload.wikimedia.org

 However, I will be spending some time in Italy and Amsterdam before I start working and I will share my adventures in both countries. When I get to Germany I will only spend six hours there and then I will take another plane to Milan. I will spend about a week in Italy where I will go to Milan, Venice and Rome. I will fly back to Germany and then take a bus to Amsterdam. I will be there for two days. This will give me a taste of what awaits me the rest of the semester and what awaits you all when you read my blog. Stay tuned for more!



-Ana Gabriela 

1 comment:

  1. You GO girl! Loved the teaser (fresh and so personable) and can't wait to follow you on this great adventure! Silvia

    ReplyDelete