10.30.2016

8 reasons why you should go abroad


Deciding to do an international co-op was no easy task for me. I had mentioned previously in one of my posts how I always thought my first co-op would be in Boston working in a veterinary clinic. I mean it when I say that I never thought I would end up doing research in Germany. I remember the day as if it was yesterday. I was going into one of the buildings at Northeastern when I got an e-mail that said the following:
“Hello-

Greetings!  

Are you thinking about a co-op, in Germany?  

If “yes”, the next step is to contact, Thomas Reinard @ Leibniz University, and articulate in a cover letter, what your research interest is. 

Here’s his link:

This e-mail was sent by one of the co-op advisors at Northeastern and for some reason, right when I saw it, I said to myself: “Co-op in Germany…that sounds pretty amazing.” And so I did my research and sent the cover letter and resume. A couple weeks later I received an e-mail saying they would look for a lab for me to work in and that if I wanted to come to Germany to do my first co-op, I could. I was so excited about the fact that this was even possible. However, many “buts” came to mind when I thought of living abroad. It is normal to be scared at first, but for all of you out there who need one last push to do it, I made a list of 8 reasons why you should do an international co-op/study abroad.

Source: https://www.studentuniverse.com/travel-guides/study-abroad/10-reasons-why-you-should-study-abroad

1.  
Explore the world
One of the main reasons I have always wanted to live abroad was because of the opportunity of exploring and interacting with other cultures. There is so much you can read and study in a normal classroom setting. However, the opportunity of experiencing everything firsthand is incomparable. Immersing yourself in a new culture is an experience that will teach you many things nothing else could. Getting to see other ways of life, listening to other languages and realizing there is so much more waiting to be discovered is what brings a smile to my face every day. Every time I travel to another country I get to see a new way of life and I get to meet new people every day that continue to make my experience as unique as it can be. Learning something new and traveling to new places only makes me want to know more and more.

Source:http://cf.mp-cdn.net/75/9b/47ead1636bc8c8445caf64de78e2-does-the-public-education-system-in-the-united-states-produce-better-scholars-than-other-countries.jpg

2.  
Education in other parts of the world
Every education system is somewhat different, but something that I have realized from working abroad (not even studying) is how different the education system in the United States is to that of Germany for example. Another reason you might consider studying abroad is for the chance to experience another education system different from what you have always known. Although I am only doing a co-op abroad, I am taking German classes in Hanover so I have had to do some research about how the system works. You will have the chance to see another side of things you might not be exposed to otherwise.
Having the opportunity to immerse in the education system of another country is something that portrays their culture and traditions. This can certainly help you understand better the people and why they are the way they are. If you study abroad, education is clearly the main reason why you are going to live in another country so choosing the right program for you or the right school is an essential step towards your experience and a very important factor when deciding if you will do it or not.

Source: Pinterest

3.   Getting to know a new culture
This one is pretty self-explanatory. Leaving your home country will expose you to new and fascinating ways of life. You will find other types of food, traditions, customs, social atmospheres and perhaps even a different language. You will have the opportunity of being part of this way of life. Most importantly, by getting to know other cultures you even appreciate your own culture even more. I believe I have learned so much from my culture that seemed “normal” to me before leaving my home country. This is also something you get out of this exposure to a different cultural background.

Source:http://learnenglishteens.britishcouncil.org/sites/teens/files/styles/article/public/istock_000034046452small.jpg?itok=BhqhVHLn

4.   Learn a new language
This is one is very dear to me because I love the idea of learning new languages. If there is something my experiences have taught me is that the best way of doing so is by completely diving in and immersing yourself a 110% in the culture. Chances are that if you are going abroad, you are also hoping to learn a foreign language. Many study abroad programs offer formal courses besides just living in the country so you are able to incorporate everything you have learned in the classroom into the experiences of the day-by-day. 
Even when doing an international co-op like I am, I have been exposed to German since day one. In Germany everyone knows a bit of English and enough for you to get by. However, my recommendation is that if you have the opportunity of learning more than you thought you could: do it! I think you should always try to get the most out of every experience and opportunity you have. Although German is a very hard language to learn (especially in such a short amount of time), I have really made it one of my goals to know as much as I can by the end of my co-op. Taking German classes and asking people what this or that means is really my way of going beyond and making the most out of this experience. If you can (and you have the chance) try do to the same! Take advantage of the fact that you are in the actual country where the language is spoken.
Source: https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEhnSLMWhTs-i9v09rOHmbV_yHKDMOTAGtx2d59QMowSL6W1m3qUgp3hJWOIpzEBwx6Z3jjBdSihkjezecCD2IU8ITApTkEnw4_MJsEHRqPiBqMnYrYi4WjsdwehhufW1BYk7x9OXH-pVFs/s1600/work-abroad-see-the-world.png

5.   Career Opportunities
I truly believe an experience abroad changes your perspective in many different aspects. Getting to work in another country and being exposed to different environments and customs can be attractive to future employers. It can enhance the value of your degree and can move your future career forward and closer to where you want it to be. It also creates a willingness to learn more and it broadens the horizons because there is more to what you thought you knew. At least, this is what I have experienced from working in Germany. Many people love the host country they work in or study in so much they end up wanting to live there indefinitely.
Source: Pinterest

6.   Making lifelong friendships
One of the biggest benefits of studying abroad is the opportunity to meet new friends from different backgrounds. While studying abroad, you will attend school and live with students from your host country. However, since I am doing an international co-op the experience for me has been a bit different but equally rewarding. I am very close with the three people I live with and I can honestly say I know I will keep in touch and hopefully see them again after I leave. They are all very special and I think it's a pretty interesting dynamic how a German, a French, a Puerto Rican and an Iranian can all get along and have such a nice relationship despite we all speak different first languages. 
Also, me and the other co-op students are very close at this point as well. None of us knew each other before coming to Hanover, but the fact that we all had to go through the same process was something that brought us together. We always try to do something every week  and bond more.  I know I will also value their friendship as time goes by because the experiences and adventures we have been through are unique. Meeting them has definitely made my experience even better and the fact that I get to see them all when I return to Boston eventually makes me happy. Other people I have met include people from my travels. In one of my previous blog posts I talked about how I met John. John then introduced me to all of his friends who came to visit Hanover and I found myself hanging out with them as well. I have even traveled with them. I also stayed with a Dutch lady in the outskirts of Amsterdam when I booked an Airbnb. Her name was Delano and she was the sweetest. I have met people when I take trains, buses, airplanes or people who have helped me along the way (like Juan Perez); and in some way or another they all have contributed a small part to what my experience abroad has been so far. 
The bonds you create and the people you meet are unforgettable because, together, they all form part of this experience that you will carry with you for the rest of your life.
Source: Pinterest

7.   Personal Growth
Now, I know this sounds very cliché, but it is true. There is nothing like being on your own in a foreign country. It certainly brings out your independent nature. It helps you explore a new nation and bring out the curiosity that lies within. I believe one of the benefits of living abroad (whether it is for co-op or for studying) is the opportunity to discover yourself while gaining an understanding of a different culture. Being in a new place by yourself can be overwhelming at times (you all have seen it happen to me at first). However, it tests your ability to adapt to diverse situations while being able to problem solve. I can personally say I have learned how to deal with situations better considering everything that has happened along the way and this a very important part of what has been my experience abroad.

8.   The experience of a lifetime
For most students, this time may be the only opportunity they ever get to travel abroad for a long period of time. This is my case. Eventually we will find a job and a career, and the opportunity to study abroad may turn out to be a once in a life time opportunity. Even if we do get to travel later in life, it will never be the same than when you are this young.
I know living abroad can also turn out to be hard economically for many, but when I made the decision to go abroad there were many scholarships and financial aid available to students who really wanted to do it. If you really want to do it, it is possible. It takes organization and planning, but it is definitely worth it.
Take this opportunity to travel the world with no commitments but to work (or study) and learn about new cultures. Living abroad is an experience unlike any other. And these are 8 of so many more reasons I could come up with of why you should do it too! 

No comments:

Post a Comment