10.16.2016

Life in Hanover: living the German lifestyle



It's 8am. The alarm is going off and I already know what's coming next: my morning coffee while I look out the balcony of my apartment in Germany. It's already pretty cold every morning so as I sit and have my breakfast, I think of how lucky I am and how amazing it is this is my life right now. I get ready for work and go downstairs where I have my bike. I bike to work everyday and it takes me about 6-7 minutes to get to the building where the lab is located. I love how every morning starts and I love the fact that I can bike everywhere here. 
After talking about my travels I want to change the focus for a bit and talk about life in Hanover and in Germany. I also want to talk more about my co-op and how everything is going. We are currently five co-op students living Hanover. We all work in different labs, but we have had the opportunity of getting to know each other through the program. Four of us were the ones who went to Prague two weeks ago and I believe that each experience has been different for each one. However here is a bit of my experience in Hanover so far. 

Me and the other co-op students in Prague 

The lab
Using the microscope in the lab to take pictures
I have been living in Hanover for almost two months now and I have been working in the lab for a little over a month and a half. Every day I like Hanover (and Germany in general) even more. I work every day from 9am to 4pm and at this point I am a lot more independent in the lab than I have ever been and I really like this. I shadowed several students for the first month, but then I have been on my own. It is definitely hard at first having to think of every little detail that needs to be prepared for the experiments to take place during the week, but planning everything and taking these decisions on my own only enables me to get more out of this experience. I feel confident with what I know and I do not hesitate when it comes down to ask questions if I am not sure or do not know something. I am really happy with my co-op in Hanover so far because I have learned how to work on my own, but with the support and guidance from the other graduate students and Dr. Reinard (my supervisor) himself, who have been very helpful and have made me feel at home since the first day.


I have to design my own project with the help of Dr. Reinard and I began to do this precisely this week. I am excited to be in charge of my own experiments and most of all, to have a say in how to do things. I have to read a lot in order to prepare myself for this task and with the help of my supervisor and the other students it has been really nice to get to learn every aspect of the research being done here. I really like this liberty that not only me, but the other students in my lab as well have to perform their experiments and carry out their projects. I believe this is the best way to learn: through experience.



Apartment complex where I live in Germany

Housing
My apartment in Germany
Although housing can be difficult in Hanover, ever since I decided to accept the co-op offer, Dr. Reinard made it his task to find me and the other co-op students someplace to live. I was really lucky because I got a great apartment. I love where I live. The location is great. It is 10 minutes away from the lab, next to the “Mensa” (where we go to lunch everyday) and right by a train stop which takes you directly to the city center. It also has a beautiful park nearby where you can go run or just sit to enjoy a nice view.

Apartment complex where I live in Germany
I live with three other people: two girls and one boy. My apartment is really international. You have me (Puerto Rican), then you have Fedra who’s from Iran, Louie who’s French and Carmen who’s German. It is really an interesting dynamic to see how we all get along and they are honestly the best roommates I could ever ask for. They made me feel at home since day one (just like in the lab) and have helped me with any little thing I need. Carmen even made me tea when I got sick and Fedra and I have become really close as well (Carmen came back from South America a couple weeks ago). Where I live is where only students live which is nice because everyone here is a student and are somehow related to Leibniz University in some way. Another thing I have noticed about living in Germany is how incredibly cheap it is compared to Boston (at least) or any other place I have lived for that matter. It is affordable and made for students and young people who probably do not have a stable job yet. This is definitely an advantage for me and my experience here.


Apartment complex where I live in Germany

The supermarket
Buying food in the supermarket is incredibly cheap in Germany compared to the US. I made this column separately because going to the supermarket and having to buy food has definitely been an experience for me. First, because the first time I went to buy food I went on a bike. Wrong idea. And second, because the way it works here is different than from the United States or Puerto Rico. First of all, you have to insert 0.50 euros if you want a cart. And you get them back when you return the cart to its original place. Smart. There are no plastic bags for the stuff you buy. They sell recyclable bags in the cashier that you can buy and use again when you return.

I went to the supermarket on a bike the first time and it was not the best idea because I ended up having three bags (since it was my first trip to the supermarket) filled with stuff. I know it was not the smartest thing to do but it seemed like a good, genuine way to go to supermarket and a good idea…at first. Suffice it to say, I fell twice and people were looking at me wondering what I was doing. After this first trip to the supermarket, I didn’t use the bike the second time and by the third I was already able to manage having one bag and biking home. Another important fact from my trips to the supermarket is that I really have learned the names of different things in German because I had no other option. In the end, it has definitely been quite the experience and I like I said, I end up learning at least a new word (and a better way of carrying my things) every time I go. 


Things I have noticed since I moved to Germany

There are many cultural differences I have noticed ever since I got to Germany but here are some of the ones I have noticed the most. Not everyone may agree with me, but here they go:
  • Germans do not cross the street when the light is red; even if there are no cars coming: for real people, they don’t. I was impressed.
  • Recycle, recycle, recycle: they take recycling very seriously as we should probably do back home. In my apartment there are different places to separate paper from plastic and from organic waste. When taking out the trash, these are all thrown away separately as well.
  • Biking is a thing here. At least in Hanover and near where I live, almost everyone owns a bike even if they don’t use it. I have my own bike right now until December and everywhere here is accessible in a bike. I go to work every morning in the bike and the lanes and signs are visible for the bikes. It is a thing and it definitely helps everyone here to stay active and healthy.
  • They eat a lot and fast (for lunch). Every time we go to "Mensa" everyone eats a big meal and they eat it fast. However, for dinner they do not eat that much.
  • They say “You’re welcome” before you say “Thank you.” Yep. It’s true. But they don’t do it in a bad way.So don't get offended, it's just what they do. 
  •  The public transportation system in Germany is really good. I think I have seen several public transportation systems and at least from the ones I have seen the one in Germany has been the best. I also get a lot of benefits from paying the students’ tuition at Leibniz University. For example: with the student ID card all trains here in Hanover are free to get around the city and all trains (that are not fast trains) around the Lower Saxony (for example to Hamburg or Bremen) are free as well. It is a really good deal because tuition in Germany does not even compare to that of the United States; it is incredibly cheap in comparison and makes it affordable for most people to get a good education.
  •  It may be harder to get to know a German, but once you do, you get to know them really well and very genuinely. There are obvious exceptions, but Germans tend to be regarded as “cold” or more distant than other cultures and at first, it might feel that way. However, once they know you and you give them time they are the type of people you know you will always keep up with because they do not open up to just anyone.
  • They are very attentive to politics and what happens in the United States. I think at this point in history anyone would be, but yeah. I have noticed that a lot of the Germans I have talked to ask me about what I think of the situation back in the US. They really know their stuff and talk a lot about it while they share their opinions. They don’t only talk about US politics but they also talk about other countries as well.
  • They really like Italian food. Specifically, pasta. I don’t know if this is just something I have noticed but there are a lot of Italian restaurants around here and I feel like they would always be down to have a nice Italian dinner. There is always the option of pasta in the “Mensa” for lunch and most of the time it tends to be the one everyone likes. They even have “Pasta Wednesday” at the “Mensa.” So just a fun fact I have noticed so far.
  • Sports are very important. Almost every German I have talked to knew who Monica Puig was. Why? Because she won the Women’s Tennis Final in the Olympics against Angelique Kerber who was from….Germany! Monica won the first gold medal for Puerto Rico and whenever I say I’m from Puerto Rico they instantly link it to Monica. It just shows that almost everyone here knows what’s going on in the world of sports. They are obviously really into soccer as well as Germany won the past world cup against Argentina; and they’re very proud about it as well.


These are just some things I have noticed from living in Germany but there have been many more. At first, as you all know, the culture shock was a bit hard, but I really love Germany and their culture. I think it is so different from what I am used to that it is refreshing and it’s so nice to be able to experience it through the most genuine way of all: by living here and experiencing everything firsthand. I start my German classes next Monday and I can’t wait. I already know how to say a few things in German and I am getting closer and closer to understanding a lot of it every day. The classes will be a great way for me to continue learning more and more while I can and while I live here. I learn something new every day and I believe that this is what has made this experience so unique so far. I can't wait for what's to come. 






No comments:

Post a Comment